Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Best Things in LIfe

Today I received a phone call at work from Terra. She told me that as soon as I got home I was to get my mail and then call her. I expected some surprise wedding invitation. I looked at my mail and then called her to tell her that I did not get anything exciting. I must not have been invited to the unexpected wedding! She asked if I had received my Church magazines and I replied that I had. As soon as she told me to open my Friend, I knew what to expect! On one of our last Sundays as a Westlake Ward Primary, we had out picture taken. I made copies and frames and gave one to all the kids and teachers. I decided to send one to the Friend magazine for fun. I knew that it could take up to a year to get in because they had told me that it might. However, after the year passed, I gave up hope. The interesting thing is that just this weekend, I was gathering some Friend magazines together for my grandchildren for Church. I had noticed that the ones they had were really worn out. As I looked at the magazines that I had gathered, I thought about the picture that I had sent in. I was so disappointed that it was never published in the magazine. I had so wanted to surprise all those special children. And then, today, I got suprised myself! One of the best things about the surprise was the way Terra found out about it. She was talking on the phone to one of her friends from the old Westlake Ward when her friend's children came screaming into their mother. She had no idea what they were so excited about until they showed her the picture. Now that is exactly what I wanted to have happen. It was well worth the wait! I am so happy that our little picture finally made the magazine. Small blessings are the best things in life.

5 comments:

Susan said...

JOAN! post the picture here. .hurry. we don't get the friend...and i want to see it...wait! I think the wards' magazines are still here...I'm gong to rip them open and see. Hooray for Babylon...for once.

giggling here!

Nikki said...

Thanks for sending it in. My kids were very excited to hear that they were in the friend. Our subscription ran out so when Terra called me, I ordered my new subscription right away! Thanks for doing that.

Amy Franklin said...

Thanks Joan! My kids are so excited about seeing themselves in the Friend! That's probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

What a cute and fun thing to do! Congrats on getting it in the Friend...As my mom would say, "Don't you love it when a plan comes together!?"

Natalie Buchkovich said...

How fun! That is great!