Saturday, November 15, 2008

Giving In to Pressure

We have often talked in our Seminary classes about peer pressure and how we should avoid the temptation of giving in and doing what everyone else is doing. Most of the time, this is in regards to peer pressure. However, we can also receive pressure from other sources as well.
I love to read and can read just about anything. My daughters know this and have been "encouraging" me to read the "Twilight" series. I have had no desrie to read books about vampires. I have thought all the raving about these books is probably exaggeration. I was doing very good at resisiting their influence until they ostracized me.
At Thanksgiving, while they are at my home, they plan to go to see the movie. I am very excited to go to a movie with my daughters (of course by my daughters, I include Natalie). But, they told me that I cannot go unless I read the book! I argued that I do not need to read the book ,that I can go to a movie, but they will not allow it.
So, I bought the book yesterday and started reading it. I have only read the first chapter, but so far I am not that impressed. The jury is still out as to whether or not it deserves all the acclaim it is getting. But the bottom line is that I WILL go to the movie with the girls. And, I will enjoy the company of that outing far more than I will enjoy the movie-of this much I am sure!
Stay tuned for the real unbiased book ratings....

3 comments:

JP said...

Glad you're back blogging. I read the first book and must say I kept waiting for it to get better. It started to move at the end so I started the second...and never finished. I don't get the attraction, but maybe I'm too old for it. I'll be interested in what you have to say,

Natalie Buchkovich said...

My mom didn't the books either! She thought they were quite dumb! But I will go against your other daughters and say you should come to the movie anyways! I know that I am going to be disappointed with the movie, but it should be fun to all go together! See you soon!!!

Dustin and Tonya Ray Family said...

OK mom.. so I am sorry I wasted your time.. I just thought you would enjoy the books better than you are.. maybe your taste has changed. Oh well..