Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Reading the Ending

I am sorry that I shocked some of you by my disclosure that I read the ending, but it is not the first time and will not be the last. It is kind of like the vampires's taste of blood, once you do it, you can't resist it!
I have this very annoying and bad addiction. If I am enjoying a book, I can't put it down. I have to read until it ends. I know my daughters have inherited this same weakness. They use to get so mad at me because I would read and read and ignore their needs. Now they do the same thing.
My experiences have taught me that I can control that addiction by knowing what happens. I still read every word, but just not at such an addictive pace! When I was reading this last book and it was at a particularly tense part of the story, I found myself wondering what I would be like if I didn't already know the ending. I might have hyperventilated or caused a heart attack. I have to be careful at my age you know. People younger than me have had heart attacks!
I have the same problem watching close games on TV or exciting movies. I pace and sometimes just leave the room because I can't stand the suspense! So, when I am reading a book, I don't have to stress myself out. I just read the ending and then I can enjoy the rest of the book.
Makes perfect sense to me!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I once paid my stupid sister $5 to read Little Women, from page 1 to the end WITHOUT reading the ending. She ALWAYS read the ending first. What fun is a story if you don't have heart failure, and gasp for breath, and run for tissues. Shame on you! and your blog looks very nice but I read even if it's not colorful. It's the words that are magic, not the frufru

JP said...

You are so funny. Well you are doing better with the series than I did. I made it thru #1, started #2 but never finished....that's almost against the law like reading the ending first is definitely.

Lisa said...

Yay! I'm not the only one! My husband teases me about reading the end first. And when I get a new book I try not to read the end. But then after about 20 to 50 pages I just HAVE to or the same thing as you--I ignore everything until I finish the book! I could never explain to my hubby why I do it. But your blog helped me to understand myself why I do it. So I had Alpine read your blog and I said, "See I'm not the only one and I do it for the EXACT same reason!" Thanks!!